Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Health Technology and Seniors’ Care Innovation in partnership with CAHBI and NBHRF
The Institute of Biomedical Engineering (IBME) at the University of New Brunswick (UNB) is pleased to invite applications for a post-doctoral research fellowship position in health technology and senior’s care innovation. This position is supported by a research grant obtained through the New Brunswick Senior’s Care Strategic Innovation Fund, a partnership between the Centre for Aging and Brain Health Innovation (CABHI) and the New Brunswick Health Research Foundation (NBHRF).
The successful applicant will work with Dr. Erik Scheme and Dr. Emily Read, faculty members in the Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Nursing, respectively, on a research project to validate eChart Healthcare, a new health care technology to support caregivers working with older adults living in residential care facilities. Dr. Scheme is an Assistant Professor in Electrical Engineering and the New Brunswick Innovation Research Chair in Medical Technologies, whose mandate is to position New Brunswick as a world leader in the discovery, innovation and commercialization of health technologies. Dr. Read is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Nursing and an affiliate researcher at the IBME. Her program of research focuses on leadership and health services research with an emphasis on health human resources optimization, technology, and healthy aging.
Learning Environment and activities:
This collaborative research fellowship will provide the successful applicant with in-depth training and real-world experience in the fields of health care, health technology implementation and validation, health workforce optimization, public and patient engagement, entrepreneurship, and knowledge exchange. A special focus of this position will be on conducting mixed methods research involving the collection and analysis of longitudinal survey data and in-depth interviews with participants.
The IBME is a world-renowned, multi-disciplinary research institute that provides a rich training environment for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Working at IBME and the Leadership and Health Services Research Collaboratory in the Faculty of Nursing, the candidate will have an opportunity to thrive—a place to engage in meaningful work that makes a positive impact on the lives of older adults, their formal caregivers, and their families. You will work as part of world renowned team engaged in a broad spectrum of activities in biomedical and health technology innovation, health services, and aging research. We offer a multidisciplinary, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary duties and responsibilities of the successful candidate will include but are not limited to:
- Collection and analysis of quantitative survey data
- Participant recruitment; conducting semi-structured interviews; analysis of qualitative data
- Leading the dissemination of novel findings through traditional and innovation knowledge translation and exchange activities
The ideal candidate for the position is an independent, solution-oriented thinker with a strong background in mixed methods research or strong skills in either qualitative or quantitative research and a willingness to learn new research methodologies and methods.
We are seeking someone with the following qualifications:
- PhD in nursing, health sciences, engineering, psychology, business administration, or other relevant discipline
- Expertise in health research focusing on aging, health technology, healthcare management, or health services research
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eagerness to identify and solve real problems
- Experience and competence in multivariate statistics
- Familiarity with data science tools (SAS, SPSS, Mplus) and experience in creating and maintaining datasets
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Solid writing abilities and excellent communication skills; a willingness and ability to develop and lead new collaborations is essential
To apply for this position, submit your application by email to Dr. Erik Scheme at email@example.com by January 31st , 2017.
- a detailed cover letter, including a statement of purpose
- a curriculum vitae and transcripts
- the name and contact information of three academic references
- The position will start May 1st, 2018 and end April 30th, 2019
- The position will be funded for 1 year
- Fellowship stipend: $50,000 per annum
- We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.